Sunday, July 19, 2009

Holy Joy - David Dances

I'm singing a song as a guest singer today that causes some controversy among my more conservative brothers and sisters in the Lord. It's titled "David Did Dance". And oh, how David did dance. And in a holy way, pleasing to the Lord. I've spent much time studying the passage of scripture in 2 Samuel Chapter 6 where this event is detailed in the past. But today I re-visited it for a refresher before I sing a song about it. I always want to be completely in line with the Word before I ever utter the words in my heart of any song I plan to sing.

Here are some potions of the above-mentioned passage: 2 Samuel 6:14 "David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might". Now, I could park right there on the "with all his might" section, but I'll save that for another day. My focus is to be in a later nugget tucked in this passage. A little further down and you'll see it. David's wife Michal was disgusted by his public display of affection for the Lord and you can imagine she had a few words to say about it. Let's focus on David's response to the opposition. Get your own Bible to see that it's there and underline it so you can reference it when you're fighting that endless battle against the enemy. 2 Samuel 6:21-22 "It was before the Lord who chose me rahter than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord's people Israel - I will celebrate before the Lord. I will become even more undignified than this and I will be humiliated by my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor."

If I were saying this today to someone, it would sound something like this: "God knew me and chose me anyway. I can't contain my joy over that. Sometimes, you just gotta move so you can let the joy out! It does not matter what you or anyone else thinks. It only matters that God sees my heart and knows that I am worshipping him."

Brother or sister in Christ, when we truly understand what Christ has done for us. When we truly get it, our joy will not be contained either. Dancing might not be your form of expression. For some it's a raised hand during worship music. For many it's a bowed knee. For some it's just a smile and for others it's tears. However you feel comfortable expressing your joy, just express it for the Lord's sake! Show Him how you feel. And let others be blessed by your expression. Because they will, dear one. Joy is contagious.

Enjoy this video to encourage and uplift you. Keep on dancin'!

1 comment: